The Division of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Ottawa Institute, Department of Surgery, University of Ottawa (uOttawa) is inviting applications for a full-time Academic Cardiac Surgeon with a dedicated joint background as an independent operating surgeon in congenital, adult congenital and adult cardiac surgery. The position is a combined recruitment between the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, and the Department of Surgery at the uOttawa Faculty of Medicine.
- The candidate must be eligible for appointment at the rank of Assistant, Associate or Full Professor.
- The candidate must be eligible for certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as well as licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
- The candidate must have coverage with the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA).
- The successful candidate must have demonstrated outstanding knowledge, skills and ethical stands as evidence by strong letters of reference from the Program Director of his/her residency.
- Candidates with a PhD will be strongly considered.
- Proficiency in both English and French is an asset given the bilingual nature of the affiliated university position.
Terms of employment
The income for this position is derived from a variety of sources including but not limited to clinical billings (fee-for-service), salary support (AFP) as well as honorariums/stipends.
$350,000-$450,000 per year.
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI) is Canada’s largest and foremost heart health centre with the highest cardiac surgery volumes in the province. It employs over 1,400 physicians, nurses, researchers, technicians, allied health professionals and more. The Institute handles more than 235,000 patients yearly from across Canada. In addition to state-of-the-art catheterization (4) and electrophysiology (4) labs, core facilities include approximately 113 inpatient ward beds, an intensive cardiac care unit (ICCU) with 14 beds, a Day Unit with 36 beds, a cardiac surgery intensive care unit (CSICU) with 27 beds, a Reference Centre with 11 beds and a New Structural Procedure Unit of 6 beds. The UOHI has 3 cardiac Operating Rooms and 2 hybrid operating rooms in the new Life Support Tower opened in 2018.
The Ottawa Hospital is a 1150 bed tertiary-care hospital serving Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec at four inpatient sites (Civic, General, Heart Institute, and the Rehabilitation Centre) and one ambulatory centre (Riverside). There are approximately 50,000 inpatient admissions, 160,000 emergency visits and over one million outpatient visits annually.
The city of Ottawa provides a thriving multicultural and bilingual environment. Ottawa boasts numerous cultural activities as well as readily accessible sporting and natural resources, making it an ideal family and healthy living environment.
More information about the Division of Cardiac Surgery.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please submit a letter of intent, curriculum vitae and the name of three referees to the following contact.
Application deadline is May 31, 2023.
Dr. Marc Ruel, MD, MPH, FRCSC, FAHA
Professor and Head
Division of Cardiac Surgery
University of Ottawa Heart Institute