Dr. Vincent Chan is a Cardiac Surgeon at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Ottawa.
Dr. Chan rejoined the Heart Institute as a cardiac surgeon in 2012 after spending a year at Mount Sinai as an instructor in cardiology. He first came to the Heart Institute in 2005 as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCSC) in Cardiac Surgery after receiving his medical degree from Queens University.
Dr. Chan has received numerous awards including the Ontario Medical Association Student Achievement Award, the Detweiler Travelling Fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the Wilbert J. Keon award from the University of Ottawa Heart Institute Alumni.
Dr. Chan’s research interests include mitral valve repair and replacement, minimally invasive surgery (including minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafts), heart valve bioprostheses and mechanical valves.
- Chan V , Ruel M, Chaudry S, Lambert S, Mesana TG. Clinical and echocardiographic outcomes after repair of mitral valve bileaflet prolapse due to myxomatous disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012 Feb 3 [Epub ahead of print].
- Mastrobuoni S, Gawad N, Price J, Chan V , Ruel M, Mesana TG, Rubens F. Use of bilateral internal thoracic artery during coronary artery bypass graft surgery in Canada: The bilateral internal thoracic artery survey. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012 Feb 17 [Epub ahead of print].
- Chan V , Lapierre H, Sohmer B, Mesana TG, Ruel M. Handsewn Proximal Anastomoses onto the Ascending Aorta through a Small Left Thoracotomy during Minimally Invasive Multivessel CABG: A Stepwise Approach to Safety and Reproducibility. In press Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011
- *Elmistekawy E, * Chan V , Bourke ME, Dupuis JY, Rubens FD, Mesana TG, Ruel M. OPCAB Does Not Preserve Renal Function better than CABG: Results of a Case-Matched Study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012 Jan;143(1):85-92. Epub 2011 Oct 27. (Both authors contributed equally to the manuscript)
- *Chan V , Chen Li, Mesana L, Mesana T, Ruel M. Heart Valve Prosthesis Selection in Patients with End-Stage Renal Failure Requiring Dialysis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Heart. 2011 Dec;97(24):2033-7. Epub 2011 Oct 11. Review. (Selected by the Faculty of 1000 as among the top 2% articles published in Biology and Medicine in 2011)
- Chan V , Lam BK, Rubens FD, Hendry P, Masters R, Mesana TG, Ruel M. Long-Term Evaluation of Biological versus Mechanical Prosthesis Use at Reoperative Aortic Valve Replacement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011 Sep 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chan V , Malas T, Lapierre H, Boodhwani M, Lam BK, Rubens F, Hendry PJ, Masters RG, Goldstein W, Mesana TG, Ruel M. Reoperation of Left Heart Valve Bioprostheses According to Age at Implantation. Circulation 2011 Sep 13;124(11 Suppl):S75-80.
- Chan V , Ruel M, Mesana T. Mitral valve replacement is a viable alternative to mitral valve repair for ischemic mitral regurgitation: A case-matched study. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 92(4):1358-66.