The following checklist will help you prepare for admission:
- Identify one family member or support individual to act as your contact person while you are at the Heart Institute. This person will be contacted after surgery at pre-arranged times and in the event of an emergency. All family members should know who the contact person is and should call that person for progress information.
- Arrange for a ride home from the hospital. You will not be able to drive for four to six weeks after the surgery.
- Arrange for someone to stay with you for the first week or two after you return home following surgery. If you need assistance to arrange convalescent care, please contact the surgical social worker at 613-696-7389 as soon as possible.
- You will be told which medications to take the morning of your surgery. You may take them with a small sip of water.
- Do not bring any valuables (including jewellery). The Heart Institute is not responsible for loss or damage of such items.
- Bring all your medications in their original pharmacy containers or blister packs. Complete the medication list in Appendix 1.
- You will not need any personal belongings until you are transferred to the ward after your stay in the Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit (CSICU). Your family can bring them to you then.
- Remove nail polish and do not apply make-up.
- Do not use any scented skin products.